Inverter not workingJuly 27, 2020
Many homes have installed an inverter to mitigate the challenges of a power failure and keep our important daily activities intact. While most homes use their inverters to power appliances like bulbs, tube lights, fans, TV, etc they leave out the air conditioner? An air conditioner is an important appliance and is needed in the hot and humid climate in Nigeria. During power cuts, most people cannot utilize the benefits of ACs but one must know that this appliance too can run on an inverter. The following are some points which will explain how to run an AC on an inverter:
1. Understand the inverter basics first
- It is important to know that when an inverter converts the DC, direct current to AC, alternating current so that regular household appliances can work.
- An inverter is basically part of a 12-volt DC system.
- It usually takes 11 amps of DC power to operate a 1-amp AC powered appliance. In case you have a 5-amp window air conditioner, then in that case you will need 55 amps of DC power to operate the appliance continuously.
- But it is important to know that almost all electrical units have a starting surge which makes the motor running.
- This is 5 more times the continuous electrical load, which means you will need 275 amps of DC power to initiate the 5-amp air conditioning appliance and then a constant 55 amps to run it continuously.
2. The Air conditioner
- The smallest size ACs usually is 1hp and they make use of a power of about 1500wats for operating.
- This means that if you have a smaller size AC installed at home, then you will need an average size inverter which won’t be very expensive as well.
- The inverter basically does the task of transferring a specified amount of power to run any given AC electrical unit and this includes air conditioners as well.
- Most inverters get their power from a source such as batteries or solar panels.
- But these power sources must be able to provide the required amount of surge power too in addition to the continuous energy which is required to keep the Air conditioner running.
3. Battery Size
- If you are using your inverter to power air conditioners then you must know that you will need more batteries and you will need to change them on a regular basis.
- Some other alternate sources too can be used for charging and some include solar panels, .
If you are someone who wants to run your air conditioner on the inverter then it is important to remember that you might need a bigger inverter capacity and battery size than you already have. If the capacity is not enough then the inverter will not handle the load.
Now that you know the answer to can an air conditioner run on an inverter, you can take steps accordingly to run yours whenever there are power cuts. If you need any help please contact us today on 08035916413 or you can send your emails to email@example.com.